Friday, November 23, 2012
There are so many things in pop culture that I just don't get.  I am left scratching my head in wonder on why so many people are so fanatically crazy about these things/people.  Honestly!

First, albeit randomly on my list of things I don't get is Twilight (both books and movies).  

Before I continue with this entry, I wanna warn you all that this is a very biased view against Twilight from a Potterhead.  Proceed with utmost caution. :)

I admit I have read all the Twilight books from Twilight to Breaking Dawn.  In fact, I own copies of all the books, including the graphic novels made by this Korean artist (apologies but I forgot her name but her artwork kicks ass!).  Though the books are enjoyable, I don't get why some Twitards  Twihards would think that Bella is all that or that Edward is the ultimate dreamboat!  And more so that I do not get how people can compare Twilight to Harry Potter when it's like comparing a child's nursery book to an English classic lit.  Honestly, though both are fantasy books, they are worlds apart in terms of the plot, the story development,  the twists, the characters, writing style, and most especially the lessons imparted to their readers.

http://strugglinghappiness.blogspot.com/2012/02/danger-of-addictions.html

Let's start with the 2 major characters:

First, Bella annoys me... really, really annoys me because of her damsel in distress ways.  She is NOT a strong female lead character.  She is in fact a weakling, whose every waking thought centered around Edward and how she can be with him.  No major thoughts whatsoever on how to strengthen her relationship with her father, no serious attempts to enrich friendships with the people around her, and no thoughts whatsoever to think about her education and career beyond high school!  She is entirely too dependent on her sparkly vampire and was basically comatose when he left her, and had even resorted to doing dangerous things so that she could feel Edward's presence.  Oh dear...

Female leads like Hermione Granger, Ginny Weasley and Katniss Everdeen would eat her alive if they are given the chance to fight.

And in line with all that, being a MAJOR Harry Potter Fan and a fan of strong female characters, I couldn't help but wholeheartedly agree with these memes:

http://www.sodahead.com/fun/hermione-granger-or-bella-swan/question-2062123/

http://blog.funsauce.com/2011/11/23/harry-potters-ginny-vs-twilights-bella-the-winner-seems-clear/

http://www.wordofthenerdonline.com/why-i-hate-twilight/

And please don't get me started on Edward the sparkly, controlling, stalker vampire.  I know that some girls find it romantic that a man/old man/boy would watch them sleep, but for me it's just plain creepy.  I also find it shallow on how Edward fell in love with Bella: aside from the physical attraction, I feel that the only reason why it works is because Bella is needy, easily controlled, which perfectly suits Edward.

Again, I agree with these memes wholeheartedly:

http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/harry-potter-vs-twilight/images/24171832/title/why-ron-hermione-pwn-bella-edward-fanart

http://www.twi-tarts.com/manage/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Showdown__HP_vs__Twilight_by_EmpressFunk.jpg

And I will close this semi-rant by listing down what messages I am seeing from the Twilight series:
  • It is okay not to finish school, and to get married right out of high school.
  • It is okay for a girl's world to revolve around her boyfriend.
  • It's okay to kill yourself if the one you love has already died.
  • Being controlled and manipulated by your boyfriend so that you will follow what he wants is romantic.
  • Being stalked by a hundred year old virgin is also romantic (eeew).
Quite frankly, I find all that really disturbing.  These are things I would not want an impressionable young reader to follow.

To finally end this, let me share these memes that I found on the net that I find really amusing because they are sooooo true:

http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/harry-potter-vs-twilight/images/18540261/title/twilight-vs-harry-potter-photo

http://baconwrappedmedia.com/harry-potter-vs-twilight-30-pics/harry-potter-vs-twilight-1/

Up Next: Fifty Shades of Eeeew.  LOL.




0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Menu!

Marcadores

Seguidores

Pesquisar este blog